you're reading...
Florida

The allure of the beaches of the Florida Keys

Bahia Honda State Park

Bahia Honda State Park

People come to the Florida Keys for many reasons: exploring the rich underwater wildlife, fishing, crossing the Seven Mile Bridge, and museum (or bar) hopping in Key West.  For me?  Well, I simply love being by the water, be it ocean-side (the Atlantic Ocean) or bay-side (Florida Bay which connects to the Gulf of Mexico).

In the Florida Keys…

The beaches are lined with palm trees

the beaches are lined with palm trees

some are gently curved,

some are gracefully curved

with a hammock tied between them,

with a hammock tied between them

so that I can look up and forget all the day's troubles.

gently swaying as I looked up and let go of all the day’s troubles.

The water is clear and shallow,

The water is clear and shallow

and on a gorgeous day, the blue sky and water meet seamlessly on the horizon.

and on a gorgeous day, the blue sky and water meet seamlessly on the horizon.

Standing on Bahia Honda State Park's Calusa Beach,  I marveled at Henry Flagler's Overseas Railroad,

On Bahia Honda State Park’s Calusa Beach, I marveled at Henry Flagler’s old Overseas Railroad

watched boats go by, and a couple stand up paddle boarding.

and watched a couple stand up paddleboard.

Then one afternoon, the storm clouds descended on the Keys,

Then one afternoon, the storm clouds descended on the Keys

and brought rain and high winds that would last for a day.

and brought rain and high winds that would last for a day.

Once the rain moved out,

Once the sun shined again

it was time for Lazy Days on the beach, enjoying Chef Lupe Ledesma's delicious food, toes in the sand.

it was time for Lazy Days’ lunch, toes dipped in the sand.

In the Florida Keys…

we celebrate sunsets

we celebrate sunsets

and love that will last for eternity.

and love that will last for eternity.

Photo locations: Bahia Honda State Park; Coconut Palm Inn; Lazy Days Restaurant; Kona Kai Resort, Gallery and Botanic Gardens; and Robbie’s of Islamorada.

Which picture do you like best?  What is your favorite beach in the world?

Note: We have added this blog post to the #SundayTraveler, where you will find a collection of travel stories and recommendations from around the world.

About these ads

Discussion

33 thoughts on “The allure of the beaches of the Florida Keys

1. Beautiful photos! I’ve been saying I will visit the Keys next time I’m in Florida. It looks wonderful. I love being by the water also. My favorite photos is the sunset (of course). Great composition with the chairs. I would like to get more photos of storms over the water. I think it looks so dynamic. Thanks so much for stirring up my need to go there! ;-)

Posted by Aperture Of My Soul | March 9, 2014, 12:59 am
  2. Gorgeous photos! I’m not much of a hang-outon-the-beach-person, but I do appreciate the nature and the scenery and like to explore. Thanks for sharing!

Posted by Ace CB @ Life in Dutch | March 9, 2014, 8:04 am
  3. Bahia Honda looks like a wonderful destination – definitely inspiring me to travel to Florida! Also, that is an excellent shot of the sunset.

Posted by davidpcole | March 9, 2014, 8:57 am
  4. What lovely pictures. My MIL lives in Florida so we have been to the Keys a couple of times. Definitely my fave part of FLA! :)

Posted by bavariansojourn | March 9, 2014, 9:36 am
  5. This is awesome, so many people don’t know about the great beaches in the Keys. My parents moved from Colorado to the Keys over 15 years ago, and we have been going at least 3 times a year ever since. My kids and I love it and Bahia Honda rocks, and is so gorgeous! Loved your post! Thank you for sharing!

Posted by basketslife | March 9, 2014, 9:37 am
  6. Ahhh, wow! I want that hammock :). I was thinking of planning a trip to Florida sometime in the next couple of years, so I think the Keys will definitely have to be included!

Posted by Molly S | March 9, 2014, 11:46 am
  7. What beautiful photos – makes me feel like I’m almost there! What I wouldn’t give to be relaxing in a hammock there right now. Thank you for sharing :)

Posted by Lauren | JustinPlusLauren | March 9, 2014, 7:57 pm
  8. Gorgeous photos! My favorite is the one with the sunset. I’ve spent quite sometime in Florida (especially Tampa area and Key West), and I have such a great memories from my time there.

Posted by frankaboutcroatia | March 9, 2014, 8:11 pm
  9. Great summary in photos (loved the hammock one). greetings from Barcelona

Posted by Elena (http://gonewiththebackpack.blogspot.com/ ) | March 10, 2014, 11:39 am
  10. wow, what a paradise! Would love to visit!

Posted by Margherita | March 10, 2014, 11:39 am
  11. I really enjoyed your pictures! I am heading to the Florida Keys at the end of Sept and I can hardly wait.

Posted by theegetawaygal | March 10, 2014, 1:32 pm
  12. Favorite pics? Hammock and sunset. Lovely!! I only went to Daytona Beach in Florida but want to explore more of Florida.

Posted by mytanfeet | March 10, 2014, 4:22 pm
  13. Hi, amazing sunset photo!, I could spend a whole day in that hammock!

Posted by Aaron @ addictive backpacking | March 10, 2014, 4:55 pm
  14. I’ve been to Florida more times than I can count, but never the Keys. Gorgeous Photos! Thanks for linking up to the #SundayTraveler :)

Posted by ahubbard10 | March 10, 2014, 6:08 pm
  15. I have never been to Florida, and after looking at your photos I have no idea why!

Posted by codowd | March 10, 2014, 6:54 pm
  16. love these pics…and i do love the hammock in the palm trees!!

Posted by clay weir | March 10, 2014, 7:10 pm
  17. Hammocks, palm trees and beautiful ocean! It doesn’t get much better than that!

Posted by Jules and Christine (@DontForget2Move) | March 10, 2014, 10:26 pm
  18. Loved the sunset picture! It just looks so peaceful.

Posted by iputmylifeonashelf | March 11, 2014, 12:34 am
  19. Beautiful beaches, wonderful sea, amazing sunsets and a hammock, you can’t expect more than that for perfect relax!

Posted by surfingtheplanet | March 11, 2014, 11:47 am
  20. Gorgeous! It looks like paradise. Thanks for linking up to the #SundayTraveler!

Posted by Adelina | PackMeTo | March 11, 2014, 6:15 pm
  21. Do you ever take a bad photo – what a stunning collection. Looks like I need to get to Florida asap. -

Posted by SJ @ Chasing the Donkey | March 11, 2014, 8:22 pm
  22. You are really making me want to visit the Keys! I think my favorite has to be that sunset, though I love the idea of going over those long, flat bridges. (But with someone else driving!)

Posted by Jess | March 12, 2014, 10:18 am
  23. Although I lived in south Florida for many years, I’ve only made trips all the way down to Key West. When I go back, I know now that i have see some of the keys in between!

Posted by She Dreams of Travel | March 12, 2014, 4:06 pm
  24. Great sunset shot! I would love to be hanging out in one of those chairs watching. : D

Posted by Where's Pablo | March 12, 2014, 5:14 pm
  25. I love the sunset photo, really good!! I haven’t really thought about going to Florida (seems expensive!) but it looks nice

Posted by Jon @ jonistravelling.com | March 12, 2014, 5:25 pm
  26. Amazing photos! You two make a great couple!

Posted by Raphael Alexander Zoren | March 12, 2014, 8:40 pm
  27. Beautiful pictures. I have always wanted to go to Florida but the high profile cases they have had late have made me think twice about passing by there. As beautiful as it is.

PISA | GATEWAY TO TUSCANY

Posted by Bianca Malata (@ItsAllBee) | March 12, 2014, 9:03 pm
  28. Beautiful photos, you’ve captured the Florida Keys in a really brilliant way. I almost feel that I know it better despite never visiting! Great post :)

Posted by katefrankiebrennan | March 13, 2014, 10:02 pm
  29. My favorite is the sunset photo. I live in southern florida and enjoy going to the florida keys often. Great pictures!!!

Posted by CarmensTravelTips | March 17, 2014, 2:30 pm
  30. I love the pink dress. And the beaches are nice too haha, it needs to be added to my bucket list!

Posted by Tiffanyiffany | March 17, 2014, 5:20 pm
  31. Gorgeous pictures here!! Always love visiting Florida in the summer for a relaxing vacation, we primarily go to the FL Panhandle (Destin) but over the last few years we have sampled Miami and Tampa. Still never ventured as far south as the Keys so that’s certainly up there on our list.

Posted by Chris Boothman | March 19, 2014, 12:23 am