Each year, Johnny and I set aside a certain amount of money for us to take trips to dream destinations. Since we consider travel an important part of our life, we continuously try to come up with fun and simple ways to earn extra cash, miles, and points to add to our vacation fund.
Here’s a list of some of the things we do to make our dreams a reality:
As a rewards program, Swagbucks is unique in that it is engaging and uses social media extensively to interact with its members. In addition to doing searches, completing surveys, and watching short videos, Swagbucks also provides other fun activities to earn points, such as playing trivia and solving puzzles to find special codes. The “swag bucks” you earn can be redeemed for merchandise or gift cards for stores such as Amazon.com, Paypal, Target, Walmart, and numerous others.
With MyPoints, our favorite activities to accumulate points include:
- signing up to receive BonusMail e-mails, which contain promotional offers from their advertisers. You’ll get 5 points for simply clicking on the link, and even more if you decide to go through with the offer.
- trying to qualify for surveys. MyPoints will give you 50 or more points after finishing a survey, and will reward you 10 points even if you don’t qualify.
- printing and redeeming coupons (for example coupons.com) through MyPoints. Since we are already in the habit of using coupons to purchase groceries and personal care items, we try to print them through MyPoints to receive an additional 10 points per coupon.
MyPoints offers a large selection of gift cards for you to choose from once you have enough points. There are Visa Prepaid cards; Paypal credit; and gift cards for Amazon.com, restaurants, and department stores just to name a few.
It’s an app that lets you collect points (kicks) for walking in and scanning items at places like Target, Best Buy, drugstores, and department stores. You then redeem the kicks for various gift cards.
We love participating with this particular research company because its surveys relate closely to our daily activities. We have been asked to keep a journal of beverages we consume, try new personal care items, and give our opinion on banking products. MySurvey rewards its participants with cash and gift cards.
As avid travelers, we always look for ways to generate hotels points and airline miles. e-miles is awesome because just by spending a few minutes each week reading and responding to marketing messages on its website, you get to collect miles that can be transferred to your favorite airline or hotel loyalty program. If you don’t feel like exchanging your free miles for hotel points or airline miles, there are other options to choose from, such as Amazon.com and Starbucks gift cards, and magazine subscriptions.
6. Before you do your online shopping, visit websites that will let you compare shopping portals for the best cash-back, points, and miles bonus.
Whenever possible, Johnny and I make our purchases for non-perishable items online. We also try to remember to go through a shopping portal to earn extra cash, points, or miles. Many of you are familiar with websites such as Ebates, BigCrumbs, and ShopDiscover. However, these portals often assign different percentages for the same store. For example, I would like to buy clothes from XYZ Department Store. On that particular day, for XYZ Department Store, Ebates will give 4 percent back, BigCrumbs 3.5 percent, and ShopDiscover 5 percent. We can spend a lot of time checking each shopping portal to see which one gives the highest rebate. Since it’s not efficient to do so, and because we might overlook a portal, we use the following sites to help us compare and find the shopping portal that we should use:
And finally, don’t forget that you can earn cash back for travel-related transactions, such as car rentals, hotels, Travelocity, Orbitz, CheapCaribbean.com, and many others.
7. Be rewarded for opening new checking/savings accounts and credit cards
We regularly check websites such as Maximizing Money and Hustler Money Blog for the latest updates on bank account and credit card sign-up bonuses. One of the things that we like to do is when we anticipate upcoming large expenses, such home and car insurance payments, we apply for a new credit card that gives a good sign-up bonus. This strategy helps us meet credit card minimum spend easily, and in the process be rewarded with extra miles and points.
8. Buy gift cards at a discount
A lot of our friends are amused by our obsessions with gift cards. The truth is, we love to buy discounted gift cards and use them for daily spend. For instance, since Johnny has a long commute to work, we are always trying to figure out ways to reduce the money we spend on gas. One of the easiest things to do is to buy discounted gas gift cards. So where do we purchase our gift cards from?
- from grocery stores, drug stores, and office supply stores, using credit cards that give extra points for shopping at these types of places. These stores also from time to time run special promotions, for instance Staples will give you rebates for buying certain gift cards.